Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Angle of view

Shooting position - it makes a difference.
When I am out taking pictures, I am always cognizant of a variety of factors.  These include the obvious things which each of us includes in our mental processing, but also things like shooting elevation.  I take a lot of my shots, as most do, of things from standing position eye level, but occasionally something extra ordinary needs to happen.

In this particular shot I did not like the background (above) which resulted in the captured image.  There was little information the viewer received regarding the subject's environment. Although I like photos of old farm machinery (who doesn't), I felt something was lacking.  I like images to tell a story, and this old derelict had something more to say.  So, to those in the car, I did the unthinkable.

I drove off road and got as close to the farmer's fence as possible.  Bump, bump, bump went the vehicle.  Disapproving looks did not prevent me from doing what had to be done.  I got into the position I wanted then it was time to do the unthinkable again.

This time I climbed on top of the vehicle.  When I had a truck I used to bring a ladder with me for such events.  However, those days were gone.  I needed a higher point of view and this was the only way possible (sitting on someone's shoulders would be way too demeaning).  I learned the hard way though that climbing up the front of the vehicle is a bad idea, as windshield glass can only stand so much force from above.  So I mounted my iron stallion from the side, as all good cowboys should.

Moving carefully and with respect to my ever aging body, I got to the spot needed and took my shot.  The perspective on the world was much better.  A little binder twine and duct tape could cement my position up here, but as such my steed required a driver.  So I climbed back down and off we went.

Some would ask, "Wasn't that a lot of work for just a shot?  I mean, you will probably never use it."  My response - "Yes it was worth it, I got a blog out of it, and a fun story to boot."  You never know when you may use a photo.

www.ericspix.com

No comments:

Post a Comment